Filfla Studio founded by visual artist Fabrizio Ellul as a vehicle to tell stories in different formats is now two years old.
To celebrate two years of Filfla Studio we are releasing Mr. Teddy is Angry – a short animation by Fabrizio Ellul and supported by a Screen Malta New Talent Grant. The short animation went on the Film Festival circuit collecting a number of Official Selections, including finalist status in a number of international film festivals.
Other projects in the pipeline are ‘Sarangu – A Maltese Folktale’ its debut graphic novel set in 1813 Malta, which is expected to be published this summer and Somewhere a sci-fi short animation.
MR TEDDY IS ANGRY
Mr. Teddy is Angry is a short animation (4 mins) by Fabrizio Ellul done in a 2D frame-by-frame technique where every frame is digitally hand drawn. It follows the story of a Giant Teddy that makes an appearance in the Valletta Grand Harbour and soon wreaks havoc.
Screenings and Awards
- Official Selection – Malta Indie Shorts (Malta, 2022)
- Official Selection – 21 Islands International Short Film Festival (NYC, 2021)
- Official Selection – Icona 2021 (Cyprus, 2021)
- Honourable Mention – Asia South East-Short Film Festival (2021)
- Official Selection – EU Film Festival (2021, India)
- Official Selection – International Short Film Festival Canton, (2021, Canton)
- Official Selection – Kinemastik International Short Film Festival (2021, Malta)
- Official Selection – Bangiff Bangkok Thai International Film Festival (2021, Bangkok)
- Official Selection – Brooklyn SciFi Film Festival (2021, New York)
- Official Selection – Lagos International Festival of Animation, LIFANIMA (2021, Lagos)
- Semi-Finalist – Madrid Film Awards (2021, Madrid)
- Out of Competition – Minikino Short Film Festival, (2021, Bali)
- Finalist – French Riviera Film Festival (2021)
- Official Selection – Global Indie Film Fest (2021, Glasgow, Scotland)
- Quarter Finalist – BlastOff Film Festival, Season 5 (2021, LA)
- Finalist – Prague International Monthly Film Festival (2021, Prague)
- Honourable Mention – Onkyo Film Awards (2021, Ukraine)
- Finalist – Lisbon Film Rendezvous, 2021 (Lisbon, Portugal)
In Malta it was screened at the Kinemastik International Short Film Festival and at the Malta Indie Shorts where a discussion was followed on the animation.
ABOUT Filfla Studio
Filfla Studio is an independent creative art house studio based in Malta specialising in storytelling through the medium of 2D animation and graphic art. It was founded by visual artist Fabrizio Ellul in 2020 as a vehicle to tell stories in different formats.
Filfla Studio’s first story ‘Filfla’ – a self funded short animation (2019) – won the Kinemastik International Short Film Festival Audience Award.
The animation was followed up by ‘The Sarangu – A Maltese folktale’ (a graphic novel – 2022), ‘Mr Teddy is Angry’ ( 2022) and Somewhere (2023) both short animations.
Limited Edition Prints can be found at the Filfla Studio Space at the TLC Store in Sliema.